Teaching moms and dads life skills on “how to become a better parent.”
Parenting With Purpose provides imprisoned fathers and mothers with parenting classes that focus on parenting education and support. Classes are designed to meet the unique needs of inmates who desire to learn how to become better parents, restore and strengthen their family relationships, and build a strong foundation in their homes.
Yearly PWP teaches nearly 300 parenting classes to incarcerated moms and dads at:
- Minnesota Correctional Facility/Faribault
- Minnesota Correctional Facility/Rush City-NEW!
- Minnesota Correctional Facility/Lino Lake-NEW!
- Hennepin County Detention Center for Women
“I have learned how to be a better parent and offer a good safe home for my family.”
- Break the cycle of crime within families
- Re-establish, strengthen and maintain the emotional connection between parent and child.
- Increase positive parental involvement in their children’s education, behavior and well-being at home, in school and in the community
- Reduce the rate of recidivism
- Decrease the chances of self-destructive behavior
- Improve relationships between youth, parent and caregiver
- Improve school attendance and academic achievement
- Improve behavior in the home, school and community
Making a Difference
…in the lives of children of prisoners
- 94 % have shown notable academic improvement.
- 96 % of the children and teens stay in school.
- 96 % have demonstrated good behavior in school.
- 96 % of kids mentored by Parenting With Purpose remain crime-free.
- 100% of the children and teens are able to remain in contact with their incarcerated or released parent.
… in the lives of incarcerated parents
- 81% of the parenting program graduates are more involved in their children’s school while incarcerated.
- 86 % of the released parents remain crime-free.
- 85 % of the incarcerated parents served rated themselves higher in their parenting skills after they completed the parenting classes.
- 91 % of the families involved in the mentoring program showed improvement in their family relationships.
- 100 % of the parents released acquired a job or schooling.
- 100 % of the released parents acquired safe housing.